Sunday, April 2, 2017

In honor of World Autism Awareness Day, 29 Acres shines the light on JON



Today, April 2, Is World Autism Awareness Day. 


Thanks to Autism Speaks, thousands of landmarks (including the White House),  businesses, houses of worship and communities in over 150 countries will  Light It Up Blue in April to raise global awareness of Autism spectrum disorder.

 29 Acres will proudly shine the light on individuals with autism  every day for the month of April. We want to raise awareness of autism spectrum disorder in our own community and we hope we do that by sharing their stories.



MEET JON








 I was diagnosed with autism when I was two. My Mom, Dad, Bea and my 3 sisters (Hannah, Olivia and Ellen)  are my biggest supporters.  I also have therapists (Angie, Brandon and Tedric) and my local community, to help me be successful. My Mom left her medical practice when I was 4 to accelerate my learning and also to advocate for me. You would not believe how much progress I have made because of my circle of support.

I understand everything you say. I just have a hard time expressing myself, because talking is hard for me. Thankfully, I've been taught how to advocate for myself, so I am able to tell people where I want to go, who I want to be with and what I want to do.

My idea of fun is anything that's active and outside. I love water activities like wake boarding and tubing and I know you wouldn't believe that I can ski down a green slope independently! When I started skiing 5 years ago, it took me a half a day to put my boots on and then I walked around on the snow for days with only 1 ski on at a time because I was very afraid of sliding. My adaptive instructors were so patient with me and encouraging and look where I am now! 









I also have a biscotti business  that employs adults with autism, and other special abilities, called SmileBiscottiDFW. The word SMILE stands for Supporting My Independent Living Enterprise.

My co-workers and I bake, label and package each biscotti by hand to ensure that our product is delicious and of high quality.
This is fun for me because I get to be with friends while I learn new skills and increase my work stamina. BTW-we have 4 delicious flavors, but the most popular is double chocolate chip! 
If you would like to learn more about our business please go to 
http://www.smilebiscottidfw.com

I also work at East Hampton Sandwich Shop helping them set up in the morning. I'm getting more and more independent at that too, thanks to my job coach and encouragement from my employer.

What excites me about 29 Acres is that I will live independently. I love my Mom, Dad and sisters and plan on seeing them a lot, but I want to live on my own, as just my peers do.  I want to be as independent as I can be. 

I will also need support finding jobs that I enjoy and that I'm good at and 29 Acres will help me with that.
It also sounds cool to have friends around all the time and to have organized, fun and interesting activities that I can choose to participate in at 29 Acres.



In honor of the thousands of individuals living with autism in our Texas communities who are in need of quality housing and ongoing support, please consider supporting this project.  
You can donate at http://www.29acres.org/donate


The 29 Acres mission is to elevate the quality of life for adults across the  autism spectrum by creating a dynamic housing community enriched with customized programming and support where every person will be empowered to live with purpose and joy.