Tuesday, April 18, 2017

In honor of autism awareness month, 29 Acres Shines a Light on BRYAN!


April is Autism Awareness Month
Thanks to Autism Speaks, thousands of landmarks (including the White House),  businesses, houses of worship and communities in over 150 countries will  Light It Up Blue in April to raise global awareness of Autism spectrum disorder.
 29 Acres will proudly shine the light on individuals with autism  every day for the month of April. We want to raise awareness of autism spectrum disorder in our own community and we hope we do that by sharing their stories.

MEET BRYAN

Bryan and Chance

Because of a head injury I had when I was six I didn't get my autism diagnosis until a few years ago, though by that time I had long suspected something like it. Even though I knew i was different, I tried to not let that get me down thought my schooling and even went as far as getting a MEd in special education as I have always wanted to work with others like me.  I feel like autism gives me another view of the world that is unique and interesting and very useful in my field.

 When I used to live in Downtown Phoenix I would go to athletic events (mostly basketball and baseball) all the time, it was one of my favorite things to do.  Now that I live farther away from the stadiums this isn't quite as easy but I still try to make it as often as possible.  In addition to this I like playing games, spending time with my dog Chance, and just going out.

 I have worked for the past few years as a respite and habilitation provider for others on the spectrum, as well as working at a few schools in that time.  I enjoy doing this work because I feel that I can relate better to other people with autism than most and this gives me a leg up on others in the same field.  I would love to one day either be able to do this full time, or even better work at a school full time helping people with autism advance in life.

 Part of what I like about 29 Acres is that it could be a place where I could do this as well as having a place to live.  As someone who has moved approximately 10 times in the past 5 years having a stable environment would be nice.  Also as someone who travels everywhere for work, having everyone I work with in close proximity to me, would be nice as well.


In honor of the thousands of individuals living with autism in our Texas communities who are in need of quality housing and ongoing support, please consider supporting this project.  29 Acres is a registered 501C3 and all donations are tax deductible.
You can donate at http://www.29acres.org/donate

The 29 Acres mission is to elevate the quality of life for adults across the  autism spectrum by creating a dynamic housing community enriched with customized programming and support where every person will be empowered to live with purpose and joy.