Saturday, April 15, 2017

IN honor of Autism Awareness Month, 29 Acres Shines the Light on WILLIAM!


April is Autism Awareness Month
Thanks to Autism Speaks, thousands of landmarks (including the White House),  businesses, houses of worship and communities in over 150 countries will  Light It Up Blue in April to raise global awareness of Autism spectrum disorder.
 29 Acres will proudly shine the light on individuals with autism  every day for the month of April. We want to raise awareness of autism spectrum disorder in our own community and we hope we do that by sharing their stories.

MEET WILLIAM-WAY UP THERE!


 I was diagnosed with autism when I was two years old.  Expressing myself has always been difficult for me but therapy over the years has helped me to grow and progress in so many ways.  I used to play by myself a lot because I didn’t know how to interact or socialize with my family and friends.  Now, I enjoy the attention and like to play with other people.

To say that I love the outdoors would be an understatement!  I love to swim like a fish, climb very tall trees, ride on my scooter- you name it.  I am the happiest when I am outside exploring nature.  I also enjoy reading books and playing board games with my sister. I like to collect matchbox cars- currently I have 178 of them!

 I enjoy matching, sorting, and arranging items. I like to help my parents unload the dishwasher, fold clothes, and feed the dogs.  I find satisfaction in cleaning and tidying up around the house.  I also like to help cook in the kitchen.  I can chop vegetables and can even sauté them in a pan!

 My fantastic parents have always tried to help me reach my fullest potential, but quality support and education after the age of 18 is very limited for me and for so many others. 

29 Acres is exactly what I need to continue to thrive and live a full and complete life.  I have so much to offer society, so much talent, so many gifts, but I need specific support and training that will allow me thrive and succeed.  At 29 Acres, I will be able to continue my education and training skills in order to contribute to society while living amongst my peers and engaging daily in positive social interactions. With 29 Acres, I feel like I can reach my fullest potential.


In honor of the thousands of individuals living with autism in our Texas communities who are in need of quality housing and ongoing support, please consider supporting this project.  29 Acres is a registered 501C3 and all donations are tax deductible. 
You can donate at http://www.29acres.org/donate


The 29 Acres mission is to elevate the quality of life for adults across the  autism spectrum by creating a dynamic housing community enriched with customized programming and support where every person will be empowered to live with purpose and joy.