Friday, April 21, 2017

In honor of Autism Awareness month, 29 Acres Shines the Light on MATTHEW!


April is Autism Awareness Month
Thanks to Autism Speaks, thousands of landmarks (including the White House),  businesses, houses of worship and communities in over 150 countries will  Light It Up Blue in April to raise global awareness of Autism spectrum disorder.
 29 Acres will proudly shine the light on individuals with autism  every day for the month of April. We want to raise awareness of autism spectrum disorder in our own community and we hope we do that by sharing their stories.



MEET MATTHEW

Matthew with Dad, Jeff


I live in South Carolina with my mom (Kelly), dad (Jeff), and my sister, Kayla. I spent a good part of my life in Minnesota where I had some great teachers who taught me a lot about what it means to go through life with Autism. We moved to South Carolina to escape the brutal winters and also to search for a residential community where I can feel wanted, understood and accepted. Because I have trouble with communication (I am mostly non-verbal), I am looking for ways that I can express my emotions to others without them misunderstanding how I really feel.


I love to be outdoors. My dad and I like to go hiking as often as possible. There are some amazing trails in the woods here around Clemson University. We often do videos that we post on Facebook, as part of an alter-identity duo we call the DeWitt Bandana Boys. When I’m stuck in the house, I like to watch videos on my iPad and TV. (My favorites are Disney and Dr. Seuss). I also really like trains and cows.


I’m pretty good at a lot of things, as long as you explain to me exactly what you want me to do. I can stack shelves, fill soda machines, set up chairs and tables. I know I could be very helpful on a farm, although I’ve never really had the chance. Working with cows (or other farm animals) would be really cool! I could feed and help herd the animals. I’m pretty alert and have a good memory so I know I could be a really good worker.


For the past 4 years, my family and I have been searching for the type of adult community that would allow me to be me, yet help me to reach my potential. I know I need some supervision but I’m pretty good about taking care of myself. I love the idea of being able to help start a new community and establish its identity and purpose. I want to be a part of something that helps other people understand that people with autism are not strange, helpless or dangerous. I’m excited to find a place that I can call home!!




In honor of the thousands of individuals living with autism in our Texas communities who are in need of quality housing and ongoing support, please consider supporting this project.  29 Acres is a registered 501C3 and all donations are tax deductible.
You can donate at http://www.29acres.org/donate




The 29 Acres mission is to elevate the quality of life for adults across the  autism spectrum by creating a dynamic housing community enriched with customized programming and support where every person will be empowered to live with purpose and joy.