Thursday, April 6, 2017

In Honor of Autism Awareness Month, 29 Acres Shines the Light on CRAWFORD!


April is Autism Awareness Month

Thanks to Autism Speaks, thousands of landmarks (including the White House),  businesses, houses of worship and communities in over 150 countries will  Light It Up Blue in April to raise global awareness of Autism spectrum disorder.

 29 Acres will proudly shine the light on individuals with autism  every day for the month of April. We want to raise awareness of autism spectrum disorder in our own community and we hope we do that by sharing their stories.



MEET CRAWFORD





My name is Crawford Melton.  I feel like I am misunderstood by most people and that there is an invisible wall separating me from others.  I want to join the crowd and have friends but I don’t know what to say and I can’t get the words out when I do have something to say.  I can be very funny and witty but it’s very difficult to express myself.  I like my solitude but sometimes I feel lonely.

I love music, movies, video games and my iPhone.  I have a girlfriend from high school and we go out on dates.  I like swimming at the YMCA, working out, hiking in the woods and playing basketball with Special Olympics.  My mother and I cook or grill together and we really enjoy picking wildflowers in the country.  I like animals and have a cat named Diego that I take care of.  I really enjoy Christmas, Halloween, and birthdays and I love parties.  I like dressing up and dancing.  My mom and I go to a big ball every year and I dance until the party is over.  I’m currently working on my Eagle Scout project with my classmates from ATS.  We are going to be clearing and rebuilding a vegetable garden where we can grow some fruits and vegetables and learn about that.  I like camping and canoeing and have gone on some long trips with the Boy Scouts.  I went on Northern Tier with some of my troop members and my father.

 I love animals and am currently working at a stable.  My tasks include cleaning up the paddocks, haltering the horses and moving them from stable to paddock.  I also volunteer at Meals on Wheels and Fishes and Loaves.  I enjoy being outside and physical activity.



I am excited about 29acres because I feel like a community of peers will help me make friends because they will understand me there.  I also like my independence and will enjoy making my own meals and doing my own shopping. 





In honor of the thousands of individuals living with autism in our Texas communities who are in need of quality housing and ongoing support, please consider supporting this project. 29 Acres is a registered 501C3 and all donations are tax deductible.
You can donate at http://www.29acres.org/donate

The 29 Acres mission is to elevate the quality of life for adults across the  autism spectrum by creating a dynamic housing community enriched with customized programming and support where every person will be empowered to live with purpose and joy.